Doukhobor Genealogy Website  

The Doukhobor Gazetteer - Search Details

 

Blagodatnoye

District: Sheho
Province: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
 
In 1909, the CCUB purchased 640 acres of wooded land in the Sheho district of Saskatchewan. There, it established a communal farm settlement. Doukhobor leader Peter “Lordly” Verigin named the farm Blagodatnoye (Благодатное), meaning “blessed” or “abundant” in Russian. In winter, Doukhobor work crews cut the trees into cordwood and shipped them via the Canadian National Railway to Yorkton to fuel the CCUB brickworks. In summer, the cleared land was sown into crop. The farm settlement was sold in 1926 after the land was completely cleared. [W ˝ 9 & W ˝ 3-30-9-W2] [51.57538° N, -103.20015° W]
 

 

 

 
Search Again