Doukhobor Genealogy Website  

The Doukhobor Gazetteer - Search Details

 

Grand Forks

District: Grand Forks
Province: British Columbia
Country: Canada
 
In 1890, an agricultural and mining town was established in the Kettle River valley of British Columbia near the Washington border. It was originally named Grand Prairie, a local name in use since the 1860s. It was first settled by English Canadian ranchers and miners. In 1897, it was incorporated as a city and renamed Grand Forks owing to its location at the forks of the Kettle and Granby Rivers. In 1899, the Canadian Pacific Railway arrived there, followed by the Kettle Valley Railway and the Great Northern Railway in 1902. In 1903, it amalgamated with the adjacent city of Columbia. Situated beside the Fruktova, Ubezhishche and Khristovoye settlement areas (1909-1963), Grand Forks has been a major hub of Doukhobor activity. In the Grand Forks vicinity, Community Doukhobors built a brickworks (1909), flourmill (1912), linseed oil factory, central warehouse, general store and garage (1914), fruit packinghouse and cannery (1920), sawmills and other industries. Many city buildings were built with Doukhobor brick. Following the demise of the CCUB in 1937-1939, many Doukhobors established businesses, organizations and private residences in Grand Forks. In 1957, they founded the Sunshine Valley Cooperative there. Today, Grand Forks serves as a major commercial centre for the surrounding district, which contains orchards and nurseries as well as logging and lumber manufacturing (2006 pop. 4,036). [49 02' 0" N - 118 26' 0" W]
 

 

 

 
Search Again