|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|||
![]() |
![]() |
|
|
||||||
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
||||
|
|
The Doukhobor Gazetteer - Search Details
Nadezhda
In 1899, Doukhobors established the village of Terpeniye (Терпение) on the Whitesand River in the present Veregin district of Saskatchewan. It was named after the village of Terpeniye in Kars, Russia from whence they came. It was also known as Terpeniye Karskoy (Терпение Карской) meaning “Terpeniye of Kars”. In 1905, it was renamed Nadezhda (Надёжда) meaning “hope” in Russian, a virtue extolled by the Doukhobor faith. It was a “model” village in layout and construction. It had a flax press and oil house. It was initially abandoned in 1920 as villagers relocated to individual homesteads or to British Columbia. In 1928, it was reoccupied by Doukhobors from the Arran district. During this time, it was known as London (Лондон) probably because it boasted a small grocery store, gambling hall and many outbuildings. It was abandoned a second time in 1940. (1905 pop. 152) [NW24-31-1-W2]
Search Again
|
|
|||||||
|
|
|
||||||||
|
|
|
||||||||