The following is an overview of the Vozvysheniye Doukhobor Cemetery Site located 1 mile west of Hyas, Saskatchewan. Rural Municipality of Clayton No. 333. Land location: SW 6-34-2 West of Second. Latitude: 51°52.934. Longitude: 102°17.197. Compiled by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff with Fred S. Petroff on July 3, 2005.
View of the approach marking the cemetery site along Highway No. 49 near Hyas.
Vozvysheniye Cemetery was established in 1902 by the Independent Doukhobors of Vozvysheniye village near Hyas. After the abandonment of the village in 1907, the cemetery ceased to be used. In 1939, the cemetery site was destroyed with the construction of Highway No. 49. It is privately owned by the Crown.
According to tradition, the cemetery was approximately an eighth of an acre in size. The cemetery contained 3-4 interments and was surrounded by a wooden picket fence. There were no headstones, however, the graves were marked with large rocks. When the highway was constructed, all traces of the cemetery were removed. Today, the only reference point is the approach on the north side of the road allowance where the cemetery was located.
To access the cemetery site, travel west from the Village of Hyas Exit on Highway No. 49 for 3/4 mile (1.2 km). You will pass a farm residence on the north side of the highway. Once past the farm residence, the cemetery site is identified by the approach on the north side of the road allowance.
There is no burial register, cemetery plot map, death certificates, grave markers or oral tradition for Vozvysheniye Cemetery. The following families resided in Vozvysheniye village and may have members buried in the cemetery: Derhousoff, Barisoff, Rilkoff, Salikin, Swetlishnoff, Sookorukoff, Kalmakoff, Bedinoff, Katasonoff.
Special thanks to Dan Deduke for assisting in locating the cemetery. This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to the Vozvysheniye Doukhobor Cemetery site, please contact Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.