The following is a transcription of Verigin’s Memorial Park located at Brilliant, British Columbia. Land location: Sub-lot 28, Block 10, Kootenay District, Plan 2938. Latitude: 49°19.163. Longitude: 117°37.889. Transcribed on October 15, 2006 by Lawrna Myers with additional information by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.
View from Terrace Road overlooking Verigin’s Memorial Park from the north facing south.
Verigin’s Tomb, as it was originally known, contains the remains of five individuals who played a prominent role in Doukhobor history. It was established in 1924 with the interment of Doukhobor leader Peter Vasilevitch Verigin. His son, Peter Petrovich Verigin is also buried in the tomb, along with the wives of both Verigins, Evdokia Grigoryevna and Anna Fyodorovna. The final resting place of Anna Petrovna Markova, the daughter of Peter P. Verigin and the mother of USCC Honorary Chairman John J. Verigin is just south of the tomb in the Memorial Park. Through the years, the tomb has been a focal point in Doukhobor life and conflict. In 1931, it was bombed for the first of many times by Sons of Freedom. More recently, in the spirit of reconciliation taking place within the larger Doukhobor community, Doukhobors from all societies and groups have gathered here to help maintain the beautiful grounds, and to hold prayer meetings and remembrance services. In 2005, Verigin’s Tomb was renamed the Verigin’s Memorial Park. It is owned and administered by the Union of Spiritual Communities of Christ.
Verigin’s Memorial Park is located on the lower slope of Sentinel Mountain overlooking the Kootenay River, the historic Brilliant Suspension Bridge, recently designated as a national heritage site, and the Doukhobor communities of Ooteshenia and Brilliant. A massive overhanging rock face above it is engraved with the eulogy of Peter Vasilevitch Verigin. The grounds comprise two acres of old-fashioned gardens enclosed by a wire fence. Stones outline the initials of the leaders and the flower beds, and there is a gazebo. A small building houses a visitor’s centre. During the summer months, Doukhobor tour guides are on hand. A well-tended rose garden surrounds the tomb, which was originally an elaborate marble edifice with intricate carvings, but was replaced in 1931 with a plain concrete structure. The Memorial Park contains five graves.
From Highway 3A on the north end of Castlegar, turn north on Robson Access Road and travel approximately 1.2 km. Then turn right on Terrace Road and travel approximately 1.0 km up the mountain. There is a parking area on the right hand side of the road, from which one can then walk down to the Memorial Park.
|Surname||Name||Birth Date||Death Date||Location||
|Verigin||Peter Vasilevitch||Jun. 29, 1858||Oct. 29, 1924||Lot 1|
|Verigin||Peter Petrovitch||Jan. 2, 1881||Feb. 11, 1939||Lot 2|
|Verigin||Anna Fyodorovna||Aug. 21, 1885||Nov. 22, 1940||Lot 3||Nee Chernenkova|
|Verigin||Evdokia Grigoryevna||Sep. 10, 1861||Nov. 19, 1941||Lot 4||Nee Kotelnikova|
|Markova||Anna Petrovna||Jan. 1, 1902||Sep. 13, 1978||Lot 5||Nee Verigin|
View of the original marble tomb edifice prior to its destruction in 1931. Doukhobor Discovery Centre B-205.
The view from Verigin’s Memorial Park overlooking the Kootenay River is one of the most beautiful in the area.
Overhanging rock face above Verigin’s Memorial Park engraved with Peter Vasilevitch Verigin’s eulogy.
Various sources of data have been used in compiling this information including marker transcriptions and site visits. This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to Verigin’s Memorial Park, please Contact Us.