The following is an overview of the Verigino Doukhobor Cemetery located a 1/4 mile north of Veregin, Saskatchewan. Rural Municipality of Sliding Hills No. 273. Land location: NE 9-30-1 West of Second. Latitude: 51°35.500. Longitude: 102°05.413. Transcribed by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff with Fred S. Petroff on May 1, 2005. Updated April 11, 2011.
View of the cemetery from the west facing east. It is marked by a bluff of trees.
Verigino Cemetery was established in 1915 by the Christian Community of Universal Brotherhood ("CCUB") to serve the Veregin district. After the demise of the CCUB in 1937-1939, the cemetery continued to be used by local Doukhobors until the 1950’s. Over the years, it has become badly overgrown. The cemetery is privately owned.
The cemetery is approximately half an acre in size and is enclosed by a wire fence. There is an open gate on the west side. There is dense scrub and brush throughout. The cemetery contains approximately 75 interments in eight rows facing east-west. I have used death certificates and oral tradition to identify one of these. The vast majority of graves (70) have no marker, however, many of the mounds are still clearly visible. These remain unidentified. With respect to graves with markers, the markers are typically plain, upright marble or slate headstones. Click here for an online cemetery map.
To access the cemetery, travel north from the junction of Highway No. 5 and the Village of Veregin Exit on gravel Secondary Route No. 637 for a 1/4 mile (.4 km). The cemetery is on the west side of the road, approximately a 1/4 mile (.4 km) from the road allowance. This cemetery is on private property and permission to access should be obtained by the owners.
|Surname||Name||Birth Date||Death Date||Comments|
|Chernoff||Ahafia N.||1886||1933||Nee Semenoff – wife of John|
|Chernoff||Nikolai N.||1880||1932||No Marker|
|Derhousoff||Alex Z.||Mar. 17, 1870||–||No Marker|
|Derhousoff||Fred G.||1868||Dec. 21, 1951||No Marker|
|Derhousoff||Martha||1868||Nov. 14, 1944||Wife of Fred – No Marker|
|Derhousoff||Wasyl Z.||Mar. 3, 1874||Apr. 11, 1939||No Marker|
|Kabatoff||Agafia||1894||–||Wife of Wasyl – No Marker|
|Kootnikoff||(unknown)||–||–||Wife of John – No Marker|
|Plotnikoff||Agrafena||1879||–||Wife of George – No Marker|
|Plotnikoff||Leo (Lukian)||1854||–||No Marker|
|Plotnikoff||Praskovia||1860||–||Wife of Leo – No Marker|
|Reibin||Anastasia||1866||–||Wife of Kuzma – No Marker|
|Reibin||Anastasia||1876||–||Wife of John – No Marker|
|Reibin||John S.||1876||–||No Marker|
|Sookaveff||(unknown)||–||–||Wife of Wasyl – No Marker|
View of the cemetery from the north facing south.
Special thanks to Peter Kabatoff for assisting in locating the cemetery and to Bill Kabatoff and Marge Malischewski for identifying additional unmarked interments. This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to Verigino Cemetery, please contact Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.