The following is a transcription of the Terpeniye Doukhobor Cemetery Site located 4 miles south-west of Veregin, Saskatchewan. Rural Municipality of Sliding Hills No. 273. Land location: NE 35-29-2 West of Second. Latitude: 51°33.605. Longitude: 102°10.292. Compiled September 24, 2005 by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff with Fred S. Petroff & Fred J. Strelieff.
View of the cemetery site from the grid facing south. It is located to the right of the road along the bush line.
Terpeniye Cemetery was established in 1905 by the Doukhobors of Terpeniye village near Veregin. After the abandonment of the village in 1920, the cemetery ceased to be actively used. In the 1930’s, the cemetery site was destroyed. It is privately owned.
According to tradition, the cemetery was approximately half an acre in size. The cemetery contained approximately 50 interments in one or more rows facing east-west. The graves were unmarked. When the site was cleared in the 1930’s, all traces of the cemetery were removed.
To access the cemetery, travel west from Veregin on Highway No. 5 for a 3 1/4 miles (5.2 km). Turn south and continue on the gravel road for 2 1/2 miles (4 km). The cemetery site is on the west side of the road, approximately 120 yards (110 m) from the road allowance. This cemetery site is on private property and permission to access should be obtained by the owners.
There is no burial register, cemetery plot map, death certificates, grave markers or other records for the cemetery site. However, the following families resided in Terpeniye village and may have members buried at the Terpeniye Cemetery site: Laktin, Kazakoff, Dutoff, Ogloff, Gritchin, Zubenkoff, Stoochnoff, Konkin, Salikin, Bloodoff, Rezansoff, Bulanoff, Bartsoff, Baturin, Markin.
This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to the Terpeniye Cemetery site, please contact Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.