The following is a transcription of the Lyubovnoye Doukhobor Cemetery Site located 6 miles south-west of Kamsack, Saskatchewan. Rural Municipality of Cote No. 271. Land location: SE 13-29-33 West of First. Latitude: 51°30.938. Longitude: 102°00.035. Compiled September 24, 2005 by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff with Fred S. Petroff & Fred J. Strelieff.
View of the cemetery site from the grid facing west. It is located near the bluff of trees in the
foreground. It is now under cultivation.
Lyubovnoye Cemetery was established in 1899 by the Doukhobors of Lyubovnoye village near Kamsack. After the abandonment of the village in 1920, the cemetery ceased to be actively used. In the 1950’s, the cemetery site was destroyed. It is privately owned.
According to tradition, the cemetery was approximately a tenth of an acre in size. The cemetery contained approximately 50 interments in several rows facing east-west. The graves were unmarked. When the site was cleared in the 1950’s, all traces of the cemetery were removed.
To access the cemetery site, travel west from Kamsack on Highway No. 5 for 3 3/4 miles (6 km). Turn south and continue on the gravel road for 4 miles (6.4 km). The cemetery site is approximately 1/4 mile (.4 km) west of the road allowance. This cemetery site is on private property and permission to access should be obtained by the owners.
There is no burial register, cemetery plot map, death certificates, grave markers or other records for the Lyubovnoye Cemetery site. However, the following families resided in Lyubovnoye village and may have members buried at the Lyubovnoye Cemetery site: Jmieff, Lavrenchenkoff, Koftinoff, Gleboff, Moojelsky, Elasoff, Arishenkoff, Razinkin, Strukoff, Hadikin, Laktin, Lebedeff, Kolesnikoff, Rilkoff, Ribalkin.
Special thanks to Fred Podmaroff and Mike Popoff for assisting in locating the cemetery. This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to the Lyubovnoye Cemetery site, please contact Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.