The following is an overview of the Krasivaya Dolina Doukhobor Cemetery site located 3 1/2 miles south of Queenstown, Alberta. Vulcan County No. 2. Land location: NW 11-19-22 West of Fourth. Latitude: 50°35.850. Longitude: 112°57.232. Compiled April 6, 2008 by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.
View of the cemetery site is facing south. The cemetery site is approximately mid-photo, below the farmyard in the distance.
Krasivaya Dolina Cemetery was established in 1918 by the Doukhobors of Krasivaya Dolina village near Queenstown. After the village was abandoned in 1924, the cemetery ceased to be actively used. In the 1960’s, the cemetery site was destroyed. It is privately owned.
According to tradition, the cemetery was approximately a tenth of an acre in size. It contained two unmarked graves. For decades, the cemetery was fenced and maintained. When the site was cleared in the 1960’s, all traces of the cemetery were removed. It is now under cultivation.
To access the cemetery from Cluny, travel south on Highway No. 842 for 23 miles (37.4 km). Turn west on Highway No. 542, past Milo, for 1 mile (1.6 km). Then turn north on Range Road 222 and continue for 1 1/2 miles (2.4 km). There is a farmyard approximately 1/4 mile (.4 km) east of the grid road. The cemetery site is located approximately 1/4 mile north of the farmyard. This cemetery is on private property and permission to access should be obtained by the owners.
|Surname||Name||Birth Date||Death Date||Comments|
|Koochin||Arkhip G.||1894||Jan. 17, 1919||No Marker|
|Koochin||Malanya||–||Jan. 14, 1919||Wife of Arkhip – No Marker|
Various sources of data have been used in compiling this information including oral tradition. Special thanks to Nora and James Verigin for assisting in identifying the interments. This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to the Krasivaya Dolina Cemetery site, please contact Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.