The following is a transcription of the Khutor Burial Site located 3 miles north-east of Veregin, Saskatchewan. Rural Municipality of Sliding Hills No. 273. Land location: SE 13-30-1 West of Second. Latitude: 51°35.600. Longitude: 102°00.893. Compiled by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff with Fred Petroff on October 27, 2007.
The burial site is marked by a large prominent rock along the road allowance
This burial site was established in the 1920’s by the Doukhobors of the Khutor farm settlement near Veregin. It consists of a single burial. In all other cases, the Khutor Doukhobors interred their dead in the nearby Verigino Cemetery. The burial site is privately owned.
The site is approximately a tenth of an acre in size. It contains a single burial marked by a large rock. It is somewhat overgrown with grass and brush and is located on the edge of a cultivated field.
To access the burial site, travel north from the junction of Highway No. 5 and the Village of Veregin Exit on gravel Secondary Route No. 637 for 1/4 mile (0.4 km). Then turn east and continue on the gravel road for 2 miles (3.2 km). You will come to a grid intersection. Continue east past the intersection on the dirt road for .6 miles (1.0 km). The burial site is on the north side of the road allowance. The burial site is on private property and permission to access should be obtained by the owners.
There is no burial register, death certificate, inscribed grave marker or other records for the burial site. According to tradition, the site consists of a single burial – that of an elderly male resident of the Khutor farm settlement who died in the 1920’s and whose name is now forgotten.
View of the burial site along the road allowance from the east facing west.
Special thanks to William Chernoff, Jack Chernoff and Marge Maleshewski for assisting in locating the cemetery. This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to the Khutor Burial Site, please contact Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.