The following is a transcription of the Gilpin Cemetery (No. 2) located in Gilpin, British Columbia. Land location: District Lot 2733, Group 1, Similkameen Division, Yale District Plan 6174A. Latitude: 49° 00.523. Longitude: 118° 18.438. Transcribed by Lawrna S. Myers and Katie Slastukin on April 5, 2005. Updated on February 3, 2007.
View of the cemetery from the north-west corner facing south-east.
Gilpin Cemetery (No. 2) was established in 1999 by Sons of Freedom Doukhobors to serve the community of Gilpin. It is partially maintained and is in active use. It is privately owned by the Crown and is leased to the community.
The cemetery is approximately a tenth of an acre in size and is unenclosed. It contains eight interments in a single section comprised of three rows facing east-west. The graves have no permanent marker other than funeral home tags. The mounds are still clearly visible and are marked by piles of rock. Click here for an online cemetery map.
The cemetery is located on Gilpin Road in Gilpin, British Columbia. Stay on the lower left fork of the road after coming to the three-way fork. The cemetery is situated in the north-west corner of the field past the last house on the left.
|Surname||Name||Birth Date||Death Date||Comments|
|Astaforoff||Harry||Aug. 26, 1939||Jul. 31, 2003|
|Astaforoff||Peter||Feb. 27, 1934||Nov. 10, 2004|
|Demenoff||George P.||Aug. 15, 1926||Jan. 11, 2006|
|Konkin||Florence E.||Mar. 17, 1926||Dec. 13, 2005|
|Savinkoff||John J.||–||Sep. 10, 2006|
View of the cemetery from the west edge facing east.
View of the cemetery from the south edge facing north
Various sources of data have been used in compiling this information including: funeral home tags and oral tradition. This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to Gilpin Cemetery (No. 2), please contact: Lawrna S. Myers.