The following is an overview of the Blagodatnoye Doukhobor Cemetery located 1/2 mile south of Sheho, Saskatchewan. Rural Municipality of Insinger No. 275. Land location: NW 3-30-9 West of Second. Latitude: 51°34.319. Longitude: 103°12.222. Compiled May 22, 2006 by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff with Fred S. Petroff.
View of the cemetery site from the north facing south. It is marked by a bluff of trees
Blagodatnoye Cemetery was established in 1909 by the Doukhobors of the Blagodatnoye farm settlement near Sheho. After the farm was sold in 1925, the cemetery ceased to be actively used. Over the years, it has become badly overgrown. The cemetery is privately owned.
The cemetery is approximately a tenth of an acre in size. It contains a single interment marked by a rock pile. It is located amidst a bluff of trees on the edge of a cultivated field.
To access the cemetery, travel east from Sheho on Highway No. 16 for 1/4 mile (.4 km). Turn south into the farmyard. The cemetery is approximately 1/2 mile (.8 km) south of the farmyard. This cemetery is on private property and permission to access should be obtained by the owners.
|Surname||Name||Birth Date||Death Date||Comments|
|Planidin||Polly S.||1885||1909||Nee Makaroff – No Marker|
The single burial is marked by an iron stake amidst the dense scrub and brush.
Special thanks to Bill Hoffman and Dennis Zoski for assisting in locating the cemetery and to Nora Veregin for identifying the interment. This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to the Blagodatnoye Cemetery, please contact Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.